Ask HN: Is my local hacker space unusually dysfunctional?
5 by legerdemain | 2 comments on Hacker News.
I am fortunate to have a hacker space in my neighborhood, and I have been visiting it during the day, attending events, and even hosting a few community meetups now and again. I'm concerned that I have entered a socially unhealthy environment and surrounded myself with people who erode my excitement for technology and drain my energy. - We have a tradition of weekly "nerd nights" with lightning talks, but the majority of presenters talk about vague business scams, motivational self-help programs, paranormal beliefs, and fringe science. - We have a Sam Altman eyeball-scanning orb on site and it gets more use than our 3D printers and other maker tools. Some of our events hand out NFTs for attending them. - Nowhere else in my life have I ever been approached more often about brazen swindles, from fee-based "insider" Discord servers, to "exclusive" pre-pre-YC prep programs, to "opportunities" to work for free for "well-connected solopreneurs." - A number of our regulars are practically homeless and use the space to cook meals in the toaster oven, wash up in the bathroom, sleep on the lounge sofa, and live out of trucks and trailers in the parking lot. Is my local hacker space unusually dysfunctional, or is this pretty much par for the course?

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post