Ask HN: Any alternatives to Duolingo without gamification?
5 by abbadadda | 1 comments on Hacker News.
I like Duolingo, but the delays between each session, and the number of buttons I have to push between each learning session, are absolutely killing me. I’m already paying for premium, so no ads, but each time a session ends the number of buttons I have to push just to get out of “rewards”, committing to a streak when I don’t want to, or getting some gems or acknowledging some news feature, are killing my desire to learn new languages. Is there any way to turn off the gamification on Duolingo? Or reduce the number of buttons I need to press to get from one session to the next? Or, alternatively, are there any language learning apps that avoid this gamification? I do like Duolingo’s progress tracking, and gradual buildup of vocabulary. I’ve tried making my own flashcards in Anki, but that’s a ton of work and it’s hard to factor in any language roadmap element on my own. Duolingo is not bad, but the percentage of time doing things other than learning, specifically pushing buttons and waiting for or watching animation, is far too high. I’d love if I could just turn all of this stuff off.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post