Ask HN: Advice/Recommendation for Therapist that works with IT contractors?
4 by leanstartupnoob | 4 comments on Hacker News.
Hi Everyone, I'm in my late forties and have been (mostly) gainfully employed for my adult life as a software developer. Over the last few years I've suffered some burnout and was part of a mass layoff at my last job. I started seeing a therapist and things have not been going great. I might be projecting a bit, but on multiple sessions my therapist has made it seem like it's my fault for getting laid off. I'm not quite ready to retire, but I easily have enough cash and savings to last for over a year without too much financial stress. Today during our session the therapist started being really assertive that I should make a schedule and apply for jobs on indeed or monster even though I've said repeatedly that I'm not ready to start looking. I want to be ready to start a new job and succeed rather than flame out after a couple months because I'm still depressed. I feel like part of the problem is that my therapist isn't used to working with financially healthy and stable people so he thinks I'm on the verge of losing everything if I don't get a job soon. Has anyone had similar issues in trying to talk with therapists or have a recommendation for someone who is used to working with software professionals?

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post