Ask HN: We should urge law makers to unlock the bootloaders
2 by sansah | 0 comments on Hacker News.
I have so many old android and iPhone devices that turn on and work OK-ish. I don't think I will use them as my main drivers but could be used for something else. (I am an electronics hobbyist). But unfortunately most phone and tablets have boot-loader locked made it impossible to mess with the original OS, insecure to use because they haven't been patched in a while. Security is one reason but the main reason is manufacturer control why they are locked in the first place. There are billions of old devices in e-waste now can be repurposed as usable systems if those devices support loading alternate operating systems or used for learning purpose. If we can get it into law, forcing manufacturer to open those bootloaders may be after a period, I am sure i can donate those devices to someone who could use for something.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post