Ask HN: Can adding an ongoing side business (SaaS) on my resume hurt me?
4 by sodality2 | 3 comments on Hacker News.
As a college student, I'm looking to apply to some summer internships for this summer. I considered adding a SaaS I've run on the side for a year or so now. It's gained me a _ton_ of skills about Linux management, containerization, web servers, etc - I've rounded my sysadmin knowledge considerably. However, as I've marked the work experience as "ongoing" on my resume and various forms, I'm afraid some reviewers may look negatively upon a "current job" like that, which may require constant work - perhaps they see it as a possible interruption of the internship. I've got a research lab as well on my resume, but those don't imply working over the summer. I hope they'd be reasonable about knowing that it doesn't interfere with work (it requires nearly no maintenance), but perhaps something like this is considered poorly especially for a student summer internship. They might want a majority of my time and for me to avoid distractions like managing a business. Any thoughts on the matter?

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post