Ask HN: What can I do about my declining typing ability as I age?
16 by deanebarker | 12 comments on Hacker News.
As I've gotten older, my typing ability has decreased. I'm 51-years-old now, and have been typing non-stop since I got a computer in my 20s. I used to type very naturally and easily, but in the last few years, I've noticed that I make a lot more mistakes. I spend a lot of time hitting backspace. It's not painful, I've just somehow gotten worse at it. It doesn't seem to matter which keyboard I work on. I have a mild ergonomic keyboard for my desk machine (a slight curve), but I'm just as bad on this as I am on my laptop (perfectly straight). Typing long stretches of text now is burdensome. I used to love to type (I've written four books, including an O'Reilly title), but now I tend to avoid it. I've started dictating, in fact. I have no diagnosed arthritic or repetitive stress injury (and again, it's not painful). Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice, coping mechanisms, or solutions?

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post