Ask HN: Is software becoming less efficient?
2 by miduil | 1 comments on Hacker News.
I had a discussion with a friend where they stated that in-efficient software is bad because it ultimately yields to human labor-exploitation in order to fulfill our demand of ever faster compute power. I think I agree with the issue, but also I believe things like vendors are able to get away with only few years of software support, proprietary OEM drivers that eventually become EOL and give hardware an expiration date - things that aren't exactly because of less efficiency. So this kinda brings me to my question, is software actually becoming less efficient? We have better image/video/audio codes, better multi-core programming languages, better efficiency in various high-level programming languages, (sometimes) better optimized libraries, better tooling that allow development of more efficient software and also pre-trained ML technology that uses much less storage/compute than some custom crafted software would have allowed.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post