Ask HN: How to stand out as TPM / PM with technical bg
4 by 71a54xd | 0 comments on Hacker News.
Hi everyone, Last year I decided to take the opportunity to broaden my options and join a growth stage startup (in crypto space with $100M + series A) as a TPM. Basically, I was getting bored with leetcode / having to reskill constantly and had a solid offer to immediately enter as a freshy PM without having to transition after 1yr as an IC. I'm still a bit on the fence, I've enjoyed my current org since I've still been able to code on products I like while building new skills as a technical product manager. I largely see this path as carrying more leverage, I like strategy and I have about 4 years of startup and FAANG tech experience prior to making my transition. I'm coming up on 1.5yrs of being a PM and I'm now looking to max TC (looking for $160k + currently remote but I have an apt in NYC). I took a bit of a hit with my current job since when they hired me I had zero PM experience. Any advice for making myself appealing to FAANG PM roles /things to consider? I've had recruiters reach out and had a few startups looking for founding PM's mention I "didn't have as much technical experience" as they'd like. Not sure what to make of this exactly. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post