Ask HN: Do you use Rocky/AlmaLinux on desktop instead of Fedora/Debian? Why?
2 by nequo | 0 comments on Hacker News.
Rocky Linux[1] and AlmaLinux[2] are both tracking RHEL which in my dumbed down understanding is Fedora with LTS. So if you are using one of them on the desktop, I presume that you prefer them to Fedora for stability. But if that is the case, then why did you choose them over Debian/Ubuntu? They seem to be similarly stable and have larger package repositories. Or is there another difference between Fedora and RHEL aside from stability that I am not aware of? I have been using Ubuntu for a rather long time. I’ve found that the LTS releases let me forget about the OS and focus on getting my work done. This is great, and it is balanced with a regular release schedule so I don’t have to run an outdated system for too long. But Canonical has been pushing snaps more aggressively and I’m not excited about those. So I’ve been looking for an alternative. [1] https://rockylinux.org/ [2] https://almalinux.org/

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post