Ask HN: What Happened to Twitter?
2 by WallyFunk | 4 comments on Hacker News.
I setup my Twitter account in 2010 and have amassed ~12000 followers. People seemed to like my stuff, and I made a lot of friends (tweeps) on there in the process. I'm still just as active, but I've noticed a sharp decline in engagement with my account. Retweets, hearts, and replies have all dwindled, everyone seems too busy and focused on whatever flavor-of-the-month celebrity or political figure is tweeting. They don't care about small little niche accounts anymore. It's all about k-pop and African memes, and replying to Elon Musk's tweets and other fandom. People just don't seem to have the time to focus on the smaller accounts. I mostly tweet web development stuff, and was seriously considering pivoting to another topic just to get back that original engagement that I used to enjoy. And further, the web development scene now has countless copycat accounts doing 'threads' where they explain basic HTML/CSS/JS and other concepts, and the engagement for that is pretty high. But it's basic stuff you can just read in various man-pages/Docs and just re-cycled for Twitter to get likes and clicks. It's not groundbreaking research or niche content, or, original in any way. So what's happening here? Should I delete my account and re-spawn somewhere else where I've a greater chance at being heard? BTW: I'm not revealing the account in question for privacy reasons.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post