HN makes Reddit less interesting
2 by DrBoring | 0 comments on Hacker News.
Over the past month, I've increased my frequency of HN usage. I've found the links more interesting, and more importantly, the discussions more intelligent. As a result, my default bored-i-need-stimulation behavior has switched from browsing to Reddit to browsing to HN. I find this behavior change helpful in two ways: 1. The HN frontpage updates more slowly than Reddit, so I waste less time getting sucked into the link abyss. 2. I don't feel compelled to engage in the Reddit karma game. I've found myself mid-comment deciding that this is a waste of time, and just close the page. I'm not sure what exactly is my point. But I'm starting to appreciate the value of small neich communities like HN.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post