Ask HN: How do I deal with not being able to build products
43 by woutr_be | 43 comments on Hacker News.
I realize this might be a bit of a strange question, but for the past 10 years, my dream has always been to build a side-project, and passively make money of it. Not even replace my full-time job (although that would be ideal), but just get a bit of extra money. However, in the past 10 years, I haven't build a single product that was shippable, I've had plenty of ideas, many that I just didn't execute because I often overthink things. My usual flow goes something like: 1. Come up with an idea for a product, and be really excited about it 2. Do some basic research and start planning 3. Start development 4. Quickly obsess over every tiny UI detail 5. Start second guessing the product 6. Find an existing product that's closely related 7. Give up I've had ideas written down for years, only to see someone else build it, and be reasonably successful. It's not that I'm a bad developer, I've shipped many products while working for different companies. It seems to be that when I'm on my own, I just can't seem to do it. I feel like I've wasted 10 years messing around, and it's really bringing me down. Has anyone else been in a similar situation, how did you deal with it?

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post