Ask HN: How do you take care of yourself?
14 by Gary_TheSnail_ | 6 comments on Hacker News.
How do you take care of yourself mentally and physically? How do you avoid burnout and what do you do when you have burnt out? What are your top few points of advice for these aspects of self-care or anything else that may be relevant? For context: I am finishing my bachelors in CS this year, but I really enjoy my major and classes and I look forward to landing a job in industry. I find side projects to be fun, but motivation to continue working on them dies off within a week or two. As a result, I don't have as many things built and to a level that I would like because I feel like I should be putting my time on something else and then end up making no progress on anything (leetcode, projects, self-learning, hobbies). So I feel like I always need to be doing something and then when I do something I feel like I should be doing something else that is "better", which leads to constant (but sometimes low) feelings of burnout, laziness, or overwhelmingness (hope that's a word). I would also consider myself a perfectionist, so that makes me feel like everything I am doing has to be perfect (even when I don't know how to execute whatever I'm doing properly). I like to take well thought out steps in anything I do (picking next quarter's classes and professors, projects, programming, friendships, etc), but sometimes I feel like that holds me back from actually doing the thing I am thinking about and lead to no progress again. I apologize for the rant, but I'd like some advice, thoughts, and reflections from the community.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post