Ask HN: Is Your Child Lonely?
14 by actfrench | 7 comments on Hacker News.
Hi hive, I'm doing a survey on the social experiences of preK-12th grade children in different learning environments (homeschool, school (public and private), remote school (public and private). I think there are a lot of misconceptions of what social experiences are like in different environments, but not a lot of good data on the topic. I'd really appreciate if any parents of PreK-12th grade kids could fill out my survey. For full transparency, I run a company that helps families interested in designing their child's education as a replacement or supplement to traditional school. So, I fully support homeschooling as an option for many families and have witnessed it to be very social. My plan for this research is to use it to inform families considering homeschooling about what their child's social life might look like. I may also release the data I collect to some media outlets. That said, I'm a teacher myself, I love research, and am obsessed with trying to maintain as much neutrality as possible and am doing my best to not bring my own biases to analyzing results. I also do not feel that homeschool is the best choice for everyone or that school is the best choice for everyone. Children thrive in different environments and there are a lot of factors in what makes one choice better for a child than another. Thanks very much for taking the time to help me learn more about this topic. The link is posted in the comments.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post