Ask HN: How to Stay Motivated in the Mornings?
3 by vazirthrowaway | 4 comments on Hacker News.
I have been struggling this problem since early 2020 (ever since WFH was enforced). I work as a software developer and I find it immensely difficult to get much work done in the mornings. I usually wake up around 8 and after coffee, moderate exercise, shower and breakfast I start my work around 10:00. Apart from the daily stand-up (which happens around 11:00) I find it extremely difficult to be energetic and focus on my work during the morning session. As day passes by and after a short nap around 12:30, I become energized and am able to focus and work in a productive manner. Till that time I find it harder to be energetic and do anything meaningful. I do sleep well (7-7.5 hours) and I wake-up without an alarm. The place I work from is well ventilated, gets abundant sunlight, and is quite silent. I tried different things to keep myself engaged in the mornings like: skipping breakfast, taking a short walk after the breakfast, making an hourly plan of things to work on the previous night. But nothing helped. Essentially I am not able to focus and work for a few hours in the mornings. However to keep up with my commitments I work late into the evenings, and end my work day somewhere around 8 or 9 p.m and on somedays end up working after dinner too . This essentially cuts me out of many things I enjoy (or like to do): learning new things, reading (tech, and non tech), watching a nice movie/episode etc. I don't think my initial inertia/tardiness in the mornings is because I find my work to be boring, as I like my work and in the afternoons I am able to do my job with a good focus. I also tried to do my readings, learnings etc. in the morning, but I find myself unable to feel enthusiastic about them in the mornings. I am looking for any suggestions to help me do better. Have any of you find yourself in similar situations, and has any life hacks, tips helped you to do better ? Thanks in Advance

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post