Ask HN: How to navigate USB-C charging hell
5 by kuon | 4 comments on Hacker News.
I realize this topic has been discussed numerous times, but after some research I found about 50 different "theories" on how it is supposed to work. As a developer and electronic engineer, it deeply frustrate me to have no good understanding of it. I am quite sure that the actual protocol and electrical details are simple, but because everybody comes with their own theory, navigating google results is really hard. Long story short, I built a new threadripper workstation, and none of the gazillion of USB port will charge my One Plus 5T phone. I tried all the the A-C ports with different cables (aren't A port just 4 contacts? what can be in the cable, resistors?...). I also tried C-C and it doesn't charge either. So, two questions: - Is there a good, technically precise and right explanation of the whole situation? I tried reading the USB standard, but it would take days to extract a proper understanding of it. - In there an adapter or something I can use on USB-C port of my workstation to provide a "charge port" for my phone which seems to require some voodoo magic to charge? I am posting on HN because it has a lot of visibility, and I hope this post might become a beacon of hope in the USB situation (this part is very pretentious, but HN did surprise me quite many times).

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post