Ask HN: Any good resources out there on putting together consulting packages?
2 by kfk | 0 comments on Hacker News.
I am considering doing some consulting on the side around data management, analytics and business process optimization/automation. I have few contacts I could leverage but I am not sure what to sell exactly. I am concerned with selling time as it puts me into the delivering business requirements area and I would rather work directly on the business problem without some intermediary "translating" it into a list of deliveries. I tend to work better when I can deal directly with management and end users and build a solution from the ground up. One type of consulting package that worked for me was "Current State Assessment" in which I did few interviews, reviewed few systems and then did a write up of the risk areas and the possible next steps to improve. This works as a relationship starter, but I am lost on what comes after. As a further note, I am dealing mostly with big companies using consulting services from deloitte, accenture, etc., most of the writing I have found on consulting is for smaller clients with a completely different purchasing process. Basically in startups and small companies you convince 1 guy and you are mostly done, in big ones your offerings need to make sense to multiple teams and departments and require funding approvals.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post